Monday, July 10, 2006

Where did the last 48 hours go?

Last week was a short week but that didn't affect how glad I was to see Friday evening roll around. I was exhausted. Friday night, the house was still a maze of boxes, the tv remotes were packed (and still are, somewhere), and World Cup mania was reaching its apex.

Baby G and I slept in ridiculously late Saturday morning (11:30am) and were upset since we had so much to do and so little time to do it. We had cousins coming in from out of town that afternoon and a dinner party for 8 that evening. We also couldn't walk a straight line from the bathroom to the kitchen without climbing over stereo speakers and Baby G's many boxes of old grad school papers. (Ooo! She's gonna kick me for that one! Eeep!)

But we got our act together and unpacked and organized until 4pm when the cousins rang the bell. I ran to the grocery store and picked up some pork loin and some cold cerveza, ran back home and popped the pork in the oven and a beer in my belly. D&M arrived first for dinner bearing warm smiles & a very large bottle of shiraz, then later Ms. Abbe arrived (looking quite radiant, I must say). The pork was tender and delicious, the veggies: crisp and flavorful, and the cheesy garlic grits: a culinary triumph (thanks, Baby G!). Yum!

Sunday morning found us back to our normal routine---waking for our weekly date with While You Were Out, crisp bacon, and the Sunday paper. After breakfast, we took the cousins to the local toy store (where I scored a wind-up bull that hops) and then to the local comic shop (where I scored some [you guessed it] comix).

That afternoon we watched the world cup final and enjoyed chips and salsa and hot tater tots. I still can't believe what's-his-name headbutted that other guy in the chest, but I figure he must have said something about his mom. Who knows? Who cares! We had a good time watching the game and an even better time playing badminton in the street afterward. (Note: playing a physical game such as badminton requires you stay hydrated and alert. Don't play after you've had 4 Modelos.) I'm very achy this morning, but content. I might even attempt exercise again today.

Have a lovely week, Gentle Readers! Until tomorrow...

No comments: